Sunday, October 30, 2011

Homemade apple sauce

During conference sessions at the beginning of the month I was feeling ambitious and domesticated...
I decided to make apple sauce! 
I don't think I have ever made apple sauce before
and if i have it was when I was little and my mom did most of the work :)

This all came around because Brian's brother and sister-in-law brought us back a huge box of apple from their trip home to Washington at the end of September. 

Brian and I were both eating an apple a day and we just couldn't eat them fast enough! 
The apples were starting to get soft so I started being creative.
I made an apple pie and then I thought hmmmmm how about apple sauce! 

It was also convenient that my mom sent us with a bunch of freezer jam when we moved down and so we had a bunch of empty canning jars! 

here is how I made the apple sauce, if you were wondering :) 

 First you have to peel all the apples... Apparently some people leave the peel on and everything but that just wasn't for me :) It was very nice to have my apple peeler that I got from a shower! 
Next, put the apples in a pot with a cup or so of water and let them cook until they are soft (about 20 min.)

After that you put the apple and the water (which is not flavored apple juice :) ) in a blender and mush it up.

Last heat it back up and add cinnamon and sugar to taste. then put it in the jars and boil them in a pot for 30 min to seal the lids!


AND NOW WE HAVE APPLE SAUCE :)

1 comment:

  1. Can you send some of that my way? I'm sure it was so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete